Students who want to pursue either bachelor’s or masters level programs at AUM may need to pass English for Academic Purposes course, if they have not reached the required level outlined in the admissions section under entry requirements. For institutional integrity, students should progress through all levels of the EAP program in a defined and reasonable length of time. Students who are unable to pass all the EAP levels within appropriate timeframe may be dismissed from AUM. At the time of enrolment, the admissions department will assess the English competence of the prospective student, asking for official IELTS documents or those from similar systems such as TOEFL.
If the student’s certification is below the desired level of competence, but the student meets all other admissions requirements, he/she is conditionally enrolled at AUM, and upon successful completion of the EAP program he/she is registered for credit courses as a regular student. If the student does not have an English language certification and is deemed by admissions to require additional English tutoring, he/she will be referred to the director of EAP for testing. It is compulsory for all conditionally admitted students to enrol in the EAP program.
The EAP program is divided into 5 levels which consists of 8 weeks per level:
• EAP90 – Student level (IELTS or equivalent) between 2.0 – 2.9 (Beginner)
• EAP 92 – Student level (IELTS or equivalent) between 3.0 – 3.9 (Beginner –Elementary)
• EAP 94 – Student level (IELTS or equivalent) between 4.0 – 4.4 (Elementary – PreIntermediate)
• EAP 96 – Student level (IELTS or equivalent) between 4.5 – 4.9 (Pre-Intermediate – Intermediate)
• EAP 98 – Student level (IELTS or equivalent) between 5.0 – 6.0/6.5 (Intermediate – High-Intermediate)
The progression of students to the next level is dependent on achieving the required test score and attendance of no less than 75%.